Monday, June 14, 2010

Bidding Farewell~

“Self-acceptance comes from meeting life's challenges vigorously. Don't numb yourself to your trials and difficulties, nor build mental walls to exclude pain from your life. You will find peace not by trying to escape your problems, but by confronting them courageously. You will find peace not in denial, but in victory.”

Upon interpretation of this quote sent by a dear friend, I realized I’ve been spending the last month or so erecting a mental barrier to protect my heart, numbing myself of difficulties to come. As an educator I have been blessed with parent’s precious commodities for a year, or two or perhaps three as a 3-5 resource room teacher supporting children with learning difficulties. As their teacher, I’m privileged to matters of the heart; learning self acceptance and advocacy of their needs, making and maintaining friendships when other children can be malicious to those that are dissimilar in some way. Most of all, I promote perseverance to keep going when life and learning are challenging. Basically, I accept that I permit myself to get emotionally involved with my students; a distinct hazard of the profession, and my reasoning as to why I avoid saying good-bye.


School’s end is looming and in my case with year round schedule my track one kiddoes have already departed. While I know many will return there are a slew of fifth graders whom I adore will move on to middle school and develop those relationships once more. But in the meantime, while I feel honored for having these young ladies and gentlemen in my life and making a difference in theirs, as well, they have diverged upon my heart and left their imprint.


So while I persist in getting through the next twelve days, I will courageously confront that gloom despite the stoutness of those mental walls I’ve made an effort to build; for there is no escape of the sadness felt by bidding farewell but there is victory that I’m sending them on equipped for the way to the next passage.

No comments: