Sunday, December 5, 2010

On this day....

Yesterday nature displayed the first snowfall of the season dressing the outdoors with the beautiful delicacy that only snow can impart. What is strange about this occurrence is I live in North Carolina; therefore snow in NC in early December just doesn’t equivocate.


Nonetheless my eyes flitted from one entity to the next in an attempt to recharge my dehydration of the beauty in my world…there is nothing more exquisite than the pure unique flecks that gently descend and disguise the terrain. My child-like perception of the snowfall maintains it is God’s intention to quiet the busy-ness of the world by limiting travel and demanding we stop and take notice of the superb loveliness. At times, the inconvenience provides spontaneous time with family and time with self.

In light of this happening and the current pursuit for the elusive Christmas spirit, I was presented with a delightful surprise upon awakening to read my message from God that I receive daily via Face Book: On this day, God wants you to know that the voice of God is best heard in silence. All too often loud events and daily busyness cloud your vision of God. Take some time to slow down; let there be silence, let there be peace. Calm your mind and let your inner voice re-emerge from the silence. Allow yourself to see visions, allow yourself to dream dreams; and you may hear the voice of God reaching out to you.

While I don’t actively share in these messages on a day to day basis, the meaning today was welcomed and clear; busy lives mandate quiet and often we don’t provide or afford it for ourselves or for our family. Perhaps in my quest to find that mysterious gaily mood of the season the snow was my invitation.

To commence this inspiration, I will become sparing in allotting my time to insignificant things and activities. I will ignite the fire and calm my mind, allow my inner voice to re-emerge from the silence.

Today my family is attending a Christmas concert of the Trans Siberian Orchestra; something my eleven year old son has been requesting since early November. Our initial hesitancy was to dismiss this opportunity because of finances; in light of the economy, do we really need to spend the money? However, in honor of the season, we are attending; a gift we as a family desire and not because we ‘have’ to but because we ‘want’ to. A blessed Sunday to all…

23 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Goodness, snow in NC! We're in Northern Virginia. Yesterday was crisp, but a one-jacket day. I think we all feel the rush of too much; it's good to calm the mind and slow down. So much of what's good in life involves those little moments. Having said that, I hope everyone enjoys the TSE concert. The Brits have an expression...sometimes it's good to spare the expense and give the cat a goldfish.

kenju said...

I wish I were joining you for that concert. I love their music!

From the Kitchen said...

The TSE is in the mix of Christmas music on my cd player! I'd love to see them in person. Enjoy!

I grew up in southwest Virginia where we had four seasons and none were too harsh. I loved the quiet of a snow. Now living in the Chicago area, that quiet is often interrupted with the continuous march of the snowplows scraping and salting. Off the beaten path, however, one can be still and relish God's gift of a beautiful snowfall.

Best,
Bonnie

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, I love the TSE! I think you guys got more than we did; but we did get a lot of sleet!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Its amazing how quiet and peaceful it will be outside when snow falls. Your post, words and photos are just what we need. To take the time to get quiet, that is when we can hear the lord. Sometimes it takes a good slap from God to get our attention as in my case but sometimes it takes that. It will be good for you to get out and do things with the family. I do pray you allow the music to resonate through you and know this is making your son happy. God delights in giving to his children as you delight in giving to yours, so keep that thought in your mind and not the financial side of it. Know that you are creating memories for your family to carry with them all through their lives.

Have a super blessed day.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats on getting some snow, Tracy. We have flurries today--but that's it, just flurries (no accumulation). BUT-it is VERY VERY cold here today and will be for the next several days.

I agree that a new snowfall is calming --and seems to be God's way of cleaning the earth so that we can relax, be quiet and just listen... I love it when we get a nice snow... As cold as it may be outside, it just warms my heart....

Great post, Tracy.
Hugs,
Betsy

Shelley Joy said...

That was so incredibly soft, peaceful and warm all at the same time. The perfect start of my day. Thank you for the calm. Oh, by the way, did your copies of Little Bird You Are Perfect arrive yet? I would love your feedback!

Brian's Home Blog said...

From what I hear you will totally love the concert! We're in South Carolina so if you could, please keep the snow up your way!!!

Talli Roland said...

What a beautiful photo!

Enjoy the concert.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Very nice, Tracy. I, too, find the snow an opportunity to quiet myself and Listen to that "still, small voice." I hope you have a wonderful day at the concert with your family.

Inger said...

Thank you for sharing the message of the day. God is indeed best heard in silence. So much has been written on blogs I read about the craziness and insane business of the season. I wish they would stop by here, take a deep breath, and listen.--Inger

Connie said...

I hope you enjoy the concert! I love their music. :)

Out on the prairie said...

It has been very mild around here in SE Iowa, one small dusting and a few small attempts since. Last year we had of over 6ft. for the season, so tis the season to really get stranded.I noticed trains last night I photographed were covered.The music sounds fantastic. There is a small college that assembles 300 music majors for a concert. The greatest moment is the conductor turning to the audience and having them join with his chorus, with a crowd of about 2700. I am glad you enjoyed my latest blog,and enjoy always hearing from you.

Pitterle Postings said...

Oh yes. I have had to learn in my own life to be silent. I love the idea of a concert to bring the season closer to you. I remember a quotes somewhere that says, "The song of the righteous is a prayer unto me". I always think of that when I am listening to good, uplifting music. There is nothing quite like music to touch your heart and help you feel His love.

Nancy said...

They were in Omaha recently and I heard they are very good. I hope you all enjoy the festive music and it propels you into the spirit!! :)

Arkansas Patti said...

I am envious of your snow. I totally brings out the 6 year old in me.
Isn't it odd how snow makes the world a softer place. Lets all enjoy the quiet.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a lovely Sunday post and what a wonderful evening I know you're having--I saw them TSE about 5 years ago and would so love to see them again.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Oh, good to know you had a good time at the concert...being with family is the best.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, the bible tells us to be still and know that he is God! And I never thought of snow as a way to be quiet and be still, but it is a wonderful thought! I like Trans Siberian and have one of their C.D.'s. So God is on Facebook now? I knew it was popular, but really...

Catherine said...

While I do not like the snow and cold (as we get so much of it here in Saskatchewan), I must admit, the snow does make for beautiful displays of nature!

Happy Monday Tracy!
xo Catherine

Kittie Howard said...

Tracy, I've just now gotten to comments left on my blog (it's been hectic here)...after reading your warm and insightful comment, I had to pause...now I'm doubly glad you're going to that concert! Here's hoping it's the best ever!

Parker said...

Snow is a great way to appreciate the beauty of the earth.
We wanted to stop in and thank you for the words of encouragement for our Rudy Toots.
We know it's helping him feel better.
Smoochies!

Tracy said...

I wanted to take the time to thank each of you for responding/commenting on my blog this day. I loved reading all the quips, thoughts and feelings regarding this post.
We had a lovely time spending it with each other while attending the concert. I'm reminded that everyday is a blessing and those special times are what creates lasting memories.
I want you to know the heart-felt thanks to take time to comment and support me in my expression of self via my writing.