Saturday, January 8, 2011

This Too Shall Pass...follow up~




I am thrilled to inform you of a revision on one of my previous blog entries I’d written awhile ago when school/work, holidays and life was overwhelming. (read here) To those who haven’t known me long, I take great pride in obtaining and maintaining inner peace. I like to transmit a sense of calm and tranquility throughout my day and am infrequently rattled by the ways of everyday life. It doesn’t insinuate a lack of caring, quite the opposite, although deep breathing and the ‘Serenity Prayer’ are my frequent companions.

However, prior to the holidays it felt as if life was out of control with a multitude of demands and expectations placed upon me by my perfectionist self and others. I felt as if I was suffocating beneath the weight of the boulders labeled ‘stress.’ Therefore, to endure until holiday break, I relied on a previous tried and true mantra; THIS TOO SHALL PASS~

Fast forward to this week; it’s been a typical transition back to school; the kids were excited to tell of their Christmas tales and gifts and share their snow stories while actually settling into their class routine. I possessed great energy at the beginning of the week but by Friday I was welcoming the upcoming weekend; a break from endless meetings, paperwork and a shortened ‘to do’ list.

I had an early morning conference with many participants and of course, Murphy’s Law rapped on the door with technology and the computer program involved which turned an hour meeting into two hours. I was late with my kids, blah, blah, blah….I needed to take deep breaths and regain my composure.

So, at lunch I walked to my mailbox and inside was a gift bag. My first thought was Christmas is over and it wasn’t my birthday. I opened the bag when I returned to my room and needless to say was surprised and touched by what lay inside. There was a beautiful handmade card and tucked inside the tissue paper was a box that contained a Precious Moments guy; MY little guy that conveys the message THIS TOO SHALL PASS~



Tears sprang to my eyes and I sat in amazement clutching my figurine that my dear friend Di made the effort to find and present to me; such a treasured gift. Along with the statue she granted me permission to keep Him if needed or to pass him along to others that needed His guidance and strength.

I’ve been blessed; thanks Di~

Sometimes you put up walls
not to keep people out
but to see who cares enough
to break them down.





33 comments:

Jules said...

Oh that is a true friend, you are blessed :) That mantra, I think I need to get that tattoo somewhere on me :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

TexWisGirl said...

What a wonderful friend! I hope your days/weeks get better and better!

Julie Harward said...

I think we all do that sometimes, just when we need to let others in! What a kind gift..you are blessed! :D

Nancy said...

Well, that's very sweet. I'm so glad your friend was able to find the little fellow and pick up your spirits. :)

Carol Riggs said...

That is so great, and sweet. That's what friends are for, and what good timing! Good luck juggling the demands of life, and don't let it get ya down!

Wanda's Wings said...

What a sweet PM. He sure is cute. Sometimes it is hard to see all the good life. We just have to take the time to look. I know because I've been there!

Kim said...

You are blessed to have such a wonderful friend. It's amazing how a small gesture can turn a day around.
Kim :)

Linda said...

Wonderful post. I enjoyed it very much and especially the last quote.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this stress, rush, and work details! Are you a perfectionist? It is a good goal, but no one is perfect. This too... is a wonderful mantra!! Another one is this "Will anyone remember this and will it even matter five years from now?" You are so blessed to have such an amazing friend who knows just when you need uplifting. Some people thrive under stress, you and I are not one of them! If I have to rush or feel pushed, I make lots of mistakes and it takes me longer than ever to get things done!! My wish for you is peace, always, my friend.

Old Kitty said...

Awwww what a lovely surprise and beautiful gift - yay for your friend!! Sometimes a thoughtful gesture is enough to make all the bad things the day has thrown at you go away!! Lovely! Take care
x

Tracy said...

Jules, I agree; I need the mantra tatooed somewhere as well.

Tex, I'm always fine...like I tell my kids, just rough moments~

Julie, I think it's self-preservation, don't you?

Nancy, yes, it was very sweet :)

Carol, Yep, blessed with great friends in my life!

Wanda, you certainly do know troubled times...imagine this little guy with you...hugs!

Kim, isn't it amazing how kindness opens us up?

Linda, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, as I always enjoy yours.

Ginny, YES, a true perfectionist and in my head, I know there is NO perfection to be achieved humanly, but the desire is still there. and yes, I don't thrive well under pressure which is why I've learned to take deep breaths and remain calm. I like the mantra you suggested. I often find myself saying that to my students and they just kind of look at me :)

Old Kitty, a gesture certainly is...but the bad 'moment' is complete and today has been relaxing :)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a blessing to have a kind and caring friend like Di who is there for you at a time when you need a lift--What a treasure!!

Catherine said...

Such a sweet friend you have Tracy! Sometimes it's the smallest gestures that can mean the most to us. Tomorrow is always a better day isn't it?

Warm hugs,
xo Catherine

Champs said...

I must say this story has brought tears to my eyes! Might be because miracles work in mysterious ways and to have a friend like yours is truly a gift in disguis or because I too have felt the weight of stress on my shoulders lately and my best friend is over a 300 miles away. Either way congrats for you!

Dawn said...

What a wonderful post.
And what a dear and thoughtful friend!

Out on the prairie said...

A very nice thought to recieve. It is times when things aren't going as they should that real friends are always there.

Ami said...

Friends always just know, don't they?

So sweet.

Unknown said...

God Bless Di! She knew just when you needed your little guy the most. ;)

Kittie Howard said...

You are truly blessed. Di is a beautiful friend. And you are a beautiful person for knowing yourself and allowing the tears to flow.

Kittie Howard said...

I saw Blind Side, Tracy, and it was great! Thinking back to it now...hmmmm, you've given me the idea to edit back and mention the movie...you're terrific, girl. Thanks!

Jim said...

What a lovely post Tracy! Now that is a friend to keep. You are very fortunate.
Have you ever read or heard of Pema Chodron? She has a number of books out that deal with coping with life's unexpected challenges and gives suggestions too.
Being an ex-teacher I know the demands that you face throughout the run of a day. Sometimes they seem to multiply! Remember to breathe a few times and move ahead.
Take care,
Jim

LV said...

These kind of gifts and surprises are the best kind. I have recently had two. Blogging friends support us on so many issues.

Tiggeriffic said...

How wonderful is that~ a gift from the heart.. This too shall pass is one of my favorite sayings when things get a little tough.. Thanks for commenting on my blog..
I used to be the head custodian at the high school here in Springville.. While cleaning every classroom (19) I would pray at the teachers desks every night. and when I was in the hallways cleaning I would pray when I passed every locker for each child that went to the school. Have a tiggeriffic day,,you have a huge job ahead of you teaching children.. ta ta for now from Iowa

DoanLegacy said...

That's a beautiful gift, and what a wonderful friend you have..

Rural Rambler said...

A very thoughtful sweet gift. And a wonderful friend to have :)

mamahasspoken said...

I oh so know what you mean about an hour meeting turning into a two hour meeting! What a sweet thing for you friend to do! She's a keeper. I hope you put that cute little boy somewhere safe but where it can also inspire you when you need it.

The Words Crafter said...

Oh how sweet! And at just the right time. I've never heard that quote before-love it.

I've talked with several people who've said they've had a difficult time this particular season....maybe we all need little figurines to help us remember Who is in charge!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That sure was nice, hopefully such friendship will not pass!

bj said...

I think we just have to learn to treasure our blessings so much that they get us through the low times in our lives.
What a sweet friend you have...which makes me know that YOU are also a good friend to her.
Bless you, sweet one.
xo bj

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Friendship... a precious treasure... Blessings

June said...

Tracy, your friend is a keeper! She saw you were needing a leg up and knew exactly what to do. An angel for sure.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words to me these last several days. You are a treasure!
hugs to you...

JennyD said...

Ohhh, wasn't that the sweetest thing! And isn't it miraculous/amazing that most times in those upheaval moments, something like that will pop up out of nowhere and make things SO much better. Guardian angels.
xoxoxo

KathyA said...

I'd get it tattooed on me, too, except with the way things have been going I'd probably get a missive infection!

How sweet a gift is that!